I am a freelance children’s book author and editor with over twelve years of editorial experience.
I like to think my career path has led me step by step closer to exactly where I want to be: from technical writing to marketing copywriting, on to adult publishing and finally to children’s books, where I’ve been working the past ten years. I hold an Honours BA in English: Rhetoric and Professional Writing (with a minor in French) from the University of Waterloo, Canada, and an MA in Creative Writing from the University of Wales.
Highlights of my career so far include having my first picture book, I Love You When… (written as Annie Baker, illustrated by Barroux), read on CBeebies Bedtime Stories; reading my super-short stories (101 words each) at the Hay Festival and editing a number of award-winning children’s books while working with a number of amazing authors.
I grew up in Canada but now live in Wales with my husband, two young sons and one big basset hound.
Award-winning books that I’ve edited include:
- Spot A Lot Vehicle Adventure, written by Steve Smallman and illustrated by Nicola Slater, Parragon Books (picture book): Parents’ Choice Fun Stuff Award
- Peek-a-Book, written by Malachy Doyle and illustrated by Rowan Martin, Parragon Books (novelty picture book): shortlisted for Junior Design Awards Innovative Children’s Book of the Year
- Little Learners Peek-a-Boo Friends, Parragon Books (die-cut board book): Practical Preschool Silver Award
- Factivity Blast Off on a Mission to Explore Space, Parragon Books (reference activity): gold for Junior Design Awards Children’s Book of the Year
- Cloud Road: A Journey Through the Inca Heartland, Parthian Books (travel writing): winner of Wales Book of the Year
I am currently working with Hodder Children’s Books, Quarto Children’s Books, Oxford University Press, Make Believe Ideas, Scholastic, Pearson, Ladybird Audio, Welbeck and more.